A couple weeks ago, my family and I took a trip to South Lake Tahoe. We stayed at the Marriott Timber Lodge. Honestly, while I was excited to take a fun vacation with my fam, I wasn’t very excited about going to Lake Tahoe. I mean come on why weren’t we going to the beach??? Wow was I surprised!! We had so much fun during that week I want to fill y’all in on the highlights of our trip and also give you a review of the resort!
The Timber Lodge is located right inside of Heavenly Village. No joke you literally just step outside and you can hop on the Heavenly gondola! Along with this there are so many amazing restaurants (and a Starbucks hallelujah!!!).
Before coming, I was really worried about the weather. While the highs varied from 60 to 75 the lows got down to the 30s! But, the cold was not bad at all, and honestly it got pretty hot. We even spent a few days just hanging by the pool. This pool was heated to about 80 degrees so it was bearable in the not-so-hot weather. Better than that, since we were in the mountains I got so tan!! It felt weird laying out in the 60-something weather, but hey it did the trick!!
Things to do:
- Drive around the lake- The first full day we had we got in our rental car and drove around the whole lake. The views are BEAUTIFUL!! And Tahoe City is so cute:) make sure to check out the transparent, turquoise water over the dam.
- Ride the M.S. Dixie II- Cruise around the lake and check out the sights on this adorable paddle wheeler. It was so beautiful, if you come to Tahoe you NEED to do this!!
- Hike to Vikingsholm- My family is full of Scandinavian blood, as most Minnesotans are!! So naturally we had to make it to Tahoe’s “hidden castle” which was built by a woman in the early 1900s after she decided the views from the lake looked just like the fjords of Norway. She created this beautiful castle following true scandinavian traditions. This house is complete with a sod roof and a screened in sleeping porch. The beautiful views from Emerald Bay alone are worth the hike!
- Kayak around the lake- Rent a kayak to check out the lake from a different perspective! You will be able to see so far down through the crystal clear water and have an amazing view of all the surrounding mountains!
- Hang on the beach- There are tons of beaches around the lake to check out on a nice day!! It’s crazy to sit on beach in your swimsuit and tan while simultaneously breathing in the fresh mountain air.
Food to eat:
- Basecamp Pizza– The perfect meal on a chilly day is a big pizza pie and this pizza is AMAZING! Bonus- The Gluten Free is so good! Being GF can be a STRUGGLE when you love bread and sometimes pizza places will butcher their GF crusts. This was NOT the case at Basecamp, it was so good you guys!
- Stateline Brewery– I never thought a brewery could have such a healthy and filling meal until the Paleo Salmon Plate. Check out this fun atmosphere right on the border of Nevada and California. And, my parents and older brothers said the beer was pretty good too but i wouldnt know (Lol youngest child life).
- Lakeside Beach House– This little outdoor patio is located right on the beach!!! The food here is decent, but the real reason to come is the view! Come here for dinner to checkout the amazing sunset over the mountains, there is really nothing better.