Earlier this month, my family took a trip to Peru!!! I absolutely loved this country, and I can’t wait to share all the details! We stayed in 3 hotels during our visit, all Belmond Hotels!! Here is my Peru travel guide!
We were in Peru for 8 days total. We first spent time in the Sacred Valley, Machu Picchu, then the city part of Cusco!
First off, why go to Peru? There are SO many reasons, such as:
- immerse yourself in a completely different culture
- experience their food – so different from the US!! Try the guinea pig!
- meet the incredible people – these people are so passionate about their crafts and their country! The Peruvians work SO hard, and their dedication and concentration really blew me away.
- See Machu Picchu, one of the seven wonders of the world!
Here are some highlights of our Peruvian experience:
- Climbing the Via Ferrata- It’s 400 meter straight up and WAY harder than the guides will tell you…
- Visiting an Andean highland community and experiencing their culture
- Learned about the symbols behind their clothing, what they eat, and all about how hard each of them work to support themselves.
- Very humbling experience- these people have nothing and live in horrible conditions, but are so happy. The people of the villages would beg you to buy things, and it made me feel really bad when I bought from one person over the other.
- Feeding llamas & seeing them casually walk around Machu Picchu and our hotels!
- Having lunch in the middle of a field overlooking the mountains
- Shopping in the markets
- Train to Machu Picchu – 5 course meal and band!!!
- Hiking around Machu Picchu and part of the Inca trail – very hard but so worth it!
- Seeing Machu Picchu (best part of the whole experience- truly breathtaking)
What I wore to Machu Picchu: